SPN450 Identity and Multiculturalism
Lead Faculty: Dr. Luis Acebal
Introduction to prominent Latin American and Hispanic cultural productions that deal with identity and multicultural issues. Most of the readings will deal with Hispanic/Latino authors. Readings will come from a variety of countries and historical and cultural movements. Discussions, collaborations, and writing assignments will be in Spanish.
- General knowledge of the aesthetic, historical, and sociopolitical development of the region’s literary and cultural discourse.
- Increase familiarity with the specific terminology needed for a critical reading of cultural productions.
- Awareness of the most significant authors, themes, and issues of the period and region.
- Deliver presentation in Spanish.
- Given that course discussions will be conducted in Spanish as well as written assignments, students will strengthen their language skills as they examine and interact with the linguistic richness of the diverse texts read in class.