SPN350 Film and Culture
Lead Faculty: Dr. Luis Acebal
Films and documentaries from and about the Spanish-speaking world serve as the basis for lectures, discussions, and class projects. Diverse topics will be explored along with a range of cultural social issues. This course also introduces strategies of cultural analysis. Discussions, collaborations, and writing assignments will be in Spanish.
- General knowledge of the aesthetic, historical, and sociopolitical development of the region.
- Increase familiarity with the specific terminology needed for a critical reading of literary texts.
- Awareness of the most significant themes from the region.
- Deliver classroom presentation in Spanish.
- Given that class discussions will be conducted in Spanish as well as written assignments, students will strengthen their language skills as they examine and interact with the linguistic richness of the diverse films watched and the texts read in class.