MCW610 Textual Strategies
Lead Faculty: Mr. Frank Montesonti
Course DescriptionIntroduction to the craft of writing focusing on: narrative and alternative structures; developing language and style; and the importance of active reading in enhancing one's own craft. In addition to reading and writing exercises, students produce a creative work which reflects their mastery of these tenets.
- Identify the basic structure of a three-act narrative, as well as alternative and unconventional forms of narrative.
- Evaluate poetic and figural language and its effect and uses in creative writing.
- Discriminate among strategies for producing rich and complex characterization and dialogue.
- Devise strategies for active reading and viewing skills as a means of understanding published and peers' writing and film as tools to enhance one's own writing.
- Recognize and develop successful peer feedback.