LIT446 Studies in Poetry
Lead Faculty: Dr. John J. Miller
Course DescriptionFocused study of a particular theme, genre, period, or author.
- Identify and discuss themes and formal qualities shared by the poetry read in the course.
- Compare and contrast how the different poetry read deal with similar themes or formal literary issues.
- Analyze the meanings and effects of poems in terms of common conventions of the genre.
- Produce a well-written, carefully argued written analysis of a poetry relevant to the course theme based on close reading and incorporating relevant criticism.
- Discuss and analyze influential theories of the literature and poetics relevant to the course theme.