LIT443 World of the Short Story
Lead Faculty: Dr John J. Miller
Course DescriptionA look at short stories. The reading list includes varieties of form and style in short fiction drawn from world literature and focuses on contemporary writing.
- Identify elements of fiction in short stories, and use those elements to construct analytical arguments about those stories.
- Compare and contrast the deployment of elements of fiction in short stories.
- Situate short stories within the historical development of the form.
- Apply different critical approaches to the analysis of short fiction.
- Use close reading skills and knowledge of the conventions of short fiction to produce carefully argued written analyses of specific works of short fiction.