LIT401 Contemporary Fiction
Lead Faculty: Dr John J. Miller
Course DescriptionAn upper-level seminar in contemporary fiction. Students will discuss and analyze major genres and movements in contemporary fiction, focusing on American fiction. Students will situate contemporary fiction in current political, cultural, historical and philosophical trends to better understand the relationship between fiction and the contemporary world.
- Identify major movements/genres in contemporary fiction.
- Examine meaningful questions about contemporary fiction, based on class readings and discussions.
- Appraise the influence of larger political, cultural, and social trends on the development of contemporary fiction.
- Identify scholarship relevant to analyzing contemporary fiction.
- Create original literary analyses of contemporary fiction, incorporating relevant scholarship.
- Identify major movements/genres in contemporary poetry.