ENG680B Seminar in a Theme II
Lead Faculty: Dr. Franz J Potter
Course DescriptionStudy of a literary motif or theme over time and/or across cultures. Variable topic chosen by instructor. Examples of themes are: the dark gothic, meta-fiction, the home, and war in literature.
- Identify the course theme in works of literature.
- Analyze and evaluate assumptions about this theme in literature in different periods.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relevance of this theme to the study and teaching of literature.
- Use close readings of texts to make arguments about course theme
- Critique relevant literary criticism and integrate this criticism in discussion of course themes.
- Write a scholarly argument of publishable quality which synthesizes relevant criticism with the analysis of this theme in a literary text.