ENG654 Research on Writing
Lead Faculty: Dr. Franz J Potter
Introduces research issues, methods, methodology, and research design in relation to Composition Studies in a broader academic context. Students will develop their abilities as researchers while reading empirical studies and texts related to study design and will design a research project for the final paper. Students are recommended to take this course early in their program.
- Discuss relevant texts in the broader context of research practices in Composition Studies.
- Gather, organize, and report on data collected for smaller assignments.
- Analyze, discriminate, and discuss disparate views on qualitative and quantitative methods of research.
- Evaluate scholarly texts indicating possible areas of further inquiry.
- Test and demonstrate a clear understanding and application of human subject guidelines in research.
- Theorize about the implications of methods and methodology and apply their theoretical conclusions to their own study design.
- Construct a viable method (or methods) of data collection for a proposed study related to the field of Composition Studies.
- Apply aspects of methods and methodology to an original project design.
- Plan and manage a working research-based project related to Composition Studies.