ENG013 Strategies for Writing
Lead Faculty: Ms. Amina Cain
This course provides the tools and practice students need to write successful college-level essays. It emphasizes the development of clear and logical writing through a focus on the basics of sentences, paragraphs, and essays. (This course is considered developmental in nature and does not award collegiate credit). Grading is by S or U only.
- Write essays that demonstrate basic writing skills: a focused thesis; development of the thesis with details, examples, and explanations; unity in the essay as a whole; and coherence between paragraphs and ideas.
- Write essays using appropriate grammar, mechanics, punctuation, and spelling.
- Support writing efforts with effective use of technology: use word processing to draft, revise and edit essays; use e-mail to communicate with instructor and classmates; and use the Internet to access class resources.
- Analyze texts to identify main arguments and methods of development, and to evaluate the strength of the evidence.
- Format essays following MLA style.