COM385 Interactive Storytelling
Lead Faculty: Dr. Joan-Marie Van Tassel
Introduces the evolution of storytelling from oral delivery, to written and interactive texts, and transmedia publication. Examines the consequences of this adaptation for storytellersandapos; and participantsandapos; identity and roles in interactive media platforms story formats. Offers hands-on creation of online identities and texts using blogs, vlogs, chats, wikis, IM, and texting to publish their work.
- Compare contemporary interactive storytelling via digital media with earlier forms of both interactive and linear storytelling.
- Analyze and compare existing interactive stories.
- Analyze alternative media in terms of their affordances for storytelling.
- Analyze the elements of stories, including characters, plot, flow, and context.
- Create interactive stories using multiple digital media platforms.
- Design and create a web site and social media pages, integrating text, images, links, and visual aesthetics.