Lead Faculty: Dr. Joan-Marie Van Tassel
Introduces learners to the principles, functions, and practices of social influence. Examines how to influence others; attitudes, beliefs, opinions, values, and behaviors through communication. Explores scientifically established principles of persuasion that are used in contemporary media.
- Analyze persuasion concepts and terms.
- Compare approaches of alternative theories to the persuasion process.
- Compare the approaches of theories to social influence.
- Analyze the role of communication settings and levels in the persuasion process.
- Compare persuasion techniques used in interpersonal settings.
- Analyze media messages in terms of their persuasive strategies.
- Apply ethical guidelines to persuasive communication messages and campaigns