COM305 Intercultural Communication
Course DescriptionLooks at communication across cultures and considers how culture influences communication. Focuses on the dynamics of cross-cultural face-to-face interaction, conflict styles across cultures, societal influences on ethnocentrism and racism, cultural value orientations, non-verbal dimensions of communication, language interaction, stereotypes, relationship development, and cultural adaptation.
- Understand the nature of and differences between intercultural and co-cultural communication
- Distinguish how cultures proscribe differences in beliefs, values, expectations, and assumptions
- Analyze the impact of history on individual cultural identity
- Distinguish and explain the stages of intercultural identity development
- Analyze intercultural interaction through video analysis
- Apply principles of successful intercultural communication in practical settings