ART100 Introduction to Art History
Lead Faculty: Ms. Annette Cyr
Survey of the main periods in art history, with emphasis on the complex relationship between art and society. Explores the development of Western art from Prehistoric to Contemporary. Includes overviews of the arts of Africa, Oceania, Mesoamerica, South America, the Middle East, India, China, and Japan.
- Discuss artworks in the light of their historical, social, and cultural contexts.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, reading and writing skills in analyzing works of art.
- Demonstrate critical awareness of the major eras and cultures in Western art.
- Discuss visual art as a key to understanding human values.
- Compare and contrast the style characteristics of selected works.
- Compare experiences of visual arts from a variety of perspectives, including those of different cultures and eras.
- Analyze the elements and principles of design employed in the formal structure of selected artworks.