Career Connections - Alumni Career Coaching
Assist in the success of a veteran student at National University by volunteering as a career coach.
The National University Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success’ Career Connections program was created to support veteran students by matching them with experienced professionals in select fields who can discuss career strategies, provide networking opportunities and facilitate connections that will assist these students in meeting their career goals.
Sharing from their own experiences,Career Coaches offer career guidance and insight into their areas of expertise,as well as provide useful resources and advice on professional development to supplement academic knowledge and to help contribute toward greater career success.
They serve as role models and are willing to invest time, energy and attention toward the betterment of their student veteran.
Career Coach Roles and Responsibilities:
• A time requirement of 12 to 15 hours over the course of six months
• Facilitate connections between student and others in your field
• Meet face-to-face with your student approximately once a month initially for approximately one hour
• Attend two group sessions including a "kick off" session
• Accompany your student to a professional mixer
•Be a role model, listen and offer feedback
•Encourage and motivate
•Establish goals and expectations of the relationship with the student
Career Coaching Benefits:
•Make a difference in the life of a veteran
•Get involved and give back to your community
•Recruit potential employees from among your students
•Develop your coaching and professional development skills