Visa Preparation

Acquiring a Student Visa
You must have a valid passport in order to obtain a visa for the United States. Before visiting the U.S. Consulate for your visa, please read carefully the instructions on the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) issued for your studies at National University. Students with an I-20 will apply for an F-1 student visa. Contact your closest US Embassy or Consulate to get the procedures for applying for a visa. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE) has published information sheets describing what to expect when applying for a student visa and at a U.S. Port of Entry. Please note: Canadian citizens do not need a visa stamp, though they must have all the other documentation.

Paying the SEVIS Fee
Applicants for F-1 visas need to pay a SEVIS fee, prior to submitting the visa application. A brief description and instructions about how to process the SEVIS fee payment can be found on the Visa Preparation PDF on the right side of this website and by visiting the more comprehensive US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website. At the time of your visa interview, you will need to provide documents certifying the amounts and sources of financial support for your studies. Keep copies of these documents to present to the US Immigration official at the Port of Entry.