Scholarships & Grants Funded by National University
National University funds a variety of scholarships and grants. Below is a list of available scholarships and grants funded by National University.
Collegiate Honor Award
Tuition scholarships of up to $2,000 are available to students who have demonstrated exceptional scholastic achievement and are in need of financial assistance. To be eligible for this award, applicants must have completed 54 semester units at a U.S. regionally accredited community college or four-year college with an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.5 on a scale of 4.0. Awards will be credited to students' accounts in increments, up to the maximum of $500 per course. The application form is available online through the student portal.
Community College Summer Scholarship
This award is intended for California/Nevada community college students who will enroll at National University directly from a community college to take general education courses during the 2012 Summer Quarter (June, July, and August). The scholarship is for students who plan on receiving college credit from National University to transfer to a community college. The award will cover 50 percent of each general education course selected from an approved list of courses. The scholarship is for onsite courses only.
Military Tuition Scholarship
Military Tuition Scholarships of up to $2,500 are available to military personnel, including active duty, reservists, national guardsmen/ women, their spouses, and their dependents. The scholarship is intended to benefit educationally and economically disadvantaged personnel and their family members who have demonstrated financial need.
For active duty personnel to qualify, they must have exhausted the aggregate amount of their military tuition assistance. In order to determine financial need, an applicant must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be done online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The applicant must also submit a letter describing personal circumstances that make earning an education important. In making the awards, preference will be given to applicants seeking undergraduate degrees. Awards will be credited to a student's account in increments up to a maximum of $500 per course toward tuition.
The application is available online through the student self-service portal. The letter describing personal circumstances should be sent to:
The Office of Scholarships and Special Services
11355 North Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA 92037–1011
Presidential Tuition Scholarship
Presidential Tuition Scholarships of up to $2,500 are available each fiscal year to undergraduate transfer students in at least one of the following categories:
- Educationally and economically disadvantaged persons who have been historically underrepresented at higher educational institutions (African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans)
- Single parents with demonstrated financial need
- Persons with a verified disability and financial need
Applicants must also meet all of the eligibility criteria listed below. They must:
- Have an annual income below $18,000 for single applicants or $25,000 for a family of two or more
- Demonstrate a cumulative college grade point average of 2.30 on a 4.00 scale
- Have at least 56 semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university
- Apply for federal and state financial aid
- Be an undergraduate student working toward a first bachelor's degree
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
Awards will be credited to students' accounts in increments, up to the maximum of the full cost of tuition per course. The application form is available online through the student portal.
Promising Scholar Award
This scholarship award is intended for students who are enrolling into National University directly from a California Community College.
To be eligible for this award, students must meet the following qualifications:
- Be in good academic standing at the Community College at the time of application to National University.
- The last semester of college attendance was at a California community college and is within 24 months of application to National University.
If students believe that they qualify for this scholarship, they can initiate it by requesting an application through the National University Regional Recruitment Specialist, Transfer Center at their school, or through a National University Admissions Advisor. Complete the Promising Scholar Award application form and have this form signed by the Transfer Director of your community college to verify that you have attended the community college within the last 24 months and submit the form within 90 days of application date to National University.
If you will not be attending National University within the next six months, please do the following: Complete this form and retain a copy for yourself. Present this form to the National University Regional Recruitment Specialist or submit it to the National University Scholarships and Special Services Coordinator.
Upon enrollment to National University, contact the Scholarship and Special Services Coordinator to activate the award application previously submitted. You must enroll within 12 months of submitting the original award application. Students who apply for this Promising Scholar Award may also be eligible for the Transfer to Triumph Scholarship provided they meet the scholarship criteria stated above under Transfer to Triumph. You will automatically be considered for the Transfer to Triumph Scholarship upon submission of your Promising Scholar Award application.
Transfer to Triumph Scholarship - California Community College Scholarships
Students who are transferring from a California Community College may be eligible for the Transfer to Triumph program. To be eligible a student must meet the following requirements:
- Be in good academic standing at the time of application to National University.
- Have completed at least 30 semester units at a California Community College or combination of California Community Colleges.
- Their last semester of attendance was at a California Community College and is within 24 months of their application date to National University.
If students believe that they qualify for this scholarship, they must initiate it through their admissions advisor who will make a preliminary eligibility determination. The admissions advisor will enter the preliminary eligibility into the system. Once the student’s entire file is complete, the Registrar’s Office will evaluate the student and determine official eligibility for the scholarship.
Students will be sent an e-mail indicating whether they have been approved or denied for the scholarship based on official eligibility determination. If a student is approved for the scholarship, the admission fee will be waived by the Student Accounts Office. The student must notify the scholarship coordinator once they are within three courses of completion of their program:
ATTN: Scholarships and Special Services
11255 North Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA 92037
The scholarship coordinator will verify this information and issue the award. Tuition for the final two courses will be billed and waived, and the student will receive an adjusted accounting.
Veterans' Victory Scholarship
National University is grateful to those who have honorably served our country. The Veterans’ Victory Scholarship provides up to $5,000 to assist veteran students succeed in meeting their educational goals. The scholarship offers several different options for qualified students based on either academic or community achievement and financial need.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- A veteran (former service in a branch of the United States Armed Forces).
- A current National University student.
- Submission of the application for Veterans’ Victory Scholarship.
- Submission of two essays describing a) Your academic and career goals (250-500 words), and b) Your need for the scholarship (250-500 words).
- Reference letter from a professor/instructor, advisor, or other professional.
- Submission of a FAFSA.
For further details or an application please click here. If you have questions you may contact email@example.com or call (858) 541-7780.